Design Engineers maintain a high degree of CATV knowledge in equipment and specs related to design, mapping, and engineering of coaxial and fiber optic communications systems, and to be able to apply that knowledge to design projects. The HFC Design engineer is capable of efficient RF system design for HFC networks for various types of projects consisting of new build (Single Family Unit – SFU / Multi Dwelling Units – MDU), forced relocates, rebuild and extensions. Design projects are executed using client provided software and includes forward and reverse paths and powering.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (Including, but not limited to:)
- Design fiber optic communications networks, coaxial plants, and Cable TV systems to client specifications.
- Designs consist of site plans for updating fiber and coaxial cable routes which include: equipment layouts and details, new plant extensions, as-builts, addressing, single and multiple dwelling units, and more!
- Ability to read and understand survey field notes and sketches to create new or update existing designs using various software platforms.
- Create deliverables across project life cycle, from initial survey to final construction submittal.
- Organize and maintain revisions of project drawings.
- Complete assigned work while maintaining a high level of quality, accuracy, and efficiency.
- Drafts and designs new plant extension and as-builts utilizing the client specific software;
- Produce various maps for construction purposes;
- Updates RF and/or Fiber Design databases and maintains system maps including base map, cable, fiber routes, addresses & RF design including commercial, SFU, MDU, node profiles & powering data;
- Completes system design by gathering information from cable designs, calculating powering and level analysis and selecting appropriate location for power supplies & nodes;
- Imports AutoCAD, TIFF or other file formats and hard copy maps to create electronic base maps for road bases, MDU’s & Strand routing;
- Incorporates field changes and as-built changes from draft prints to the system database;
- Communicates with the Permit department and Coordinators in order to gather and provide accurate information with regard to construction design and drafting;
- Determines method to design the plant change with minimal impact to the system/customer and minimize related construction cost & ensures quality of design.
- Complete projects within prescribed time limits.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree (in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience in design of HFC or similar networks.
- Bentley, SpatialNET, or Microstation experience a plus.
- AutoCAD or ArcGIS experience a plus.
- Cable TV, RF, HFC and Fiber design experience a plus.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong math skills and a high attention to detail are required.
- Must have outstanding quality control skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects with heavy workloads and short-term goals.
- Follow very specific and detailed procedures already implemented and, at times, be required to adjust and adapt to changing standards and procedures without notice.
- Communicate effectively to direct and upper management and be able to speak to progress of a project at any given time, including to the customer.
- Knowledge of technical standards for the design of the outside network (poles, broad band technology, fiber & copper cables) would be an asset.
- Ability to work in a face paced environment.
- Deadline driven, self-motivated, and technically savvy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible, take direction with ease, including changes to schedule and workflow priorities.
- Critical thinking skills; make assessments and provide solutions to problems.
- Superior customer service. Dedication to providing customers “White Glove Service”.
- May be required at times for training purposes.
- Able to sit for long periods of time.
- Able to look at a computer screen for long periods of time.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” employment relationship.